Sunday, March 29, 2009

Childish Speech

I CORINTHIANS 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

The other night at dinner our family had this joy of a conversation:

Immediately after my giving the blessing Gracelyn turned to her mother and said, "Momma, Moriah was peeking!" To which Mother wisely replied, "How did you know that, Gracelyn, unless you had your eyes open too?" Without missing a beat, Gracelyn returned, "I didn't have my eyes open! God let me know she had her eyes open!" Mother then said, "I'm glad you have such a connection with God!" At this point Moriah was getting a bit worried thinking Mother was serious and interjected, "If that's true, then God's a tattle-tale!" Of course, Mother and Father got quite a snicker from this. 

This little conversation highlights a principle of Christian growth that can be quite easy to forget: a Believer is responsible for speaking maturely. Proverbs 15:23 tells us how good a word is which is spoken in due season, that it is a joyful thing. All of us have had hurtful things said to us before, and if you're honest, you'll admit that you've said your share of hurtful things as well. 

Paul tells us, it's time to quit speaking like children, it's time to speak as mature adults. It's time to speak wisely, to be careful of our words. Did you know that your words can be "health to the bones?" That's right, your words can impart health to the sick and infirm! Proverbs 16:24 tells us, "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." 

Won't you make this your prayer today? Almighty God, Author of Life, Giver of every good gift, help me to become an energy giver, to be a life giver.  Help me to carefully consider my words and the impact that they can have on others. Teach me Lord, the value of my words. Speak through my lips Lord Jesus, and love through me. Live Your Life in me and through me.

2 comments:

  1. Very good, John, and very timely! Goes right along with what we talked about at the Ladies Retreat. I think God is definitely reminding me and keeping this very fresh on my mind!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice of you to say so. Thank you Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to edit comments for brevity, clarity, and content.

Hit Counters