Thursday, April 9, 2009

Not By Might Nor By Power

ZECHARIAH 4:6  Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This [is] the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit... what a concept! It's almost incomprehensible by today's standards, and yet it's so simple. God doesn't need to use His power or His might to accomplish anything. He doesn't twist your arm behind your back and shout in your ear, "This is it, I've had it! Repent or else!" He doesn't set angels with flaming swords next to the computer to keep you from going to xrated sites. He uses His Spirit. He's that "still small voice" in your heart telling you good from bad. But He lets you make the choice.

I wonder why, then, we so often choose to doing things within our own might and power. How is it that the meek one, who barely whispers an Amen on Sunday, can scream at their spouse on Monday? What kind of a man would lay a finger on his wife and use his brawn to intimidate and abuse her? God doesn't use lung power and physical might to get our attention, does He?

You say, I don't know what else to do, well I want you to try this: be sweet. Be kind. Be longsuffering. Be patient. Be slow to anger. Be quick to forgive. Set the tone of the home with your attitude. Rejoice in the day that He hath made. Endure the trials of life. Count it all joy. It's time that YOU changed the atmosphere. Without using your lung power.


4 comments:

  1. Rachel (Mother-in-law)April 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM

    John,

    I've just had the time to log-on and read a number of your posts. I found them all to be exceptional! I appreciated the fact that they're short - for quick reading. Each one was very uplifting and encouraging, yet challenging and thought-provoking. Thank you for allowing God to use you in this ministry. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok John, we need another post on here!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the request Sarah. My problem is I have about 30 posts half written, and can't hardly decide which one to post first. So here comes a short series of posts.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to edit comments for brevity, clarity, and content.

Hit Counters